A gateman has died from electrocution barely 24 hours after he was employed.
A strange but sad incident occurred around 6:30am today, September 6, at the River valley Estate, Ojodu Berger.
According to the person who sent in the report, the sad incident happened after the gateman had said goodbye to his employer, who had left that early for work. Following the heavy downpour that started in the early hours of the morning, the man didn't stand a chance when disaster struck.
Here's what the witness, Yemi Illuminati wrote below:
"This electrocution happened at around 6:30am today in River valley Estate, Ojodu Berger.The guy involved was employed only yesterday as a gateman and opened the gate for his boss who was leaving for work early. Only to close the gate after his boss zoomed off, his fate befell him. There was no light overnight until about a few minutes before 6:30am. Passersby still saw his corpse at about 6:30am still shaking but they could not render any help. When the security men of the estate were informed they only went to inspect and confirm the story, they couldn't render any help. Their conscience didn't even prick them that it goes way beyond their civic responsibility as professionals to coordinate the scene, even though they could not help the dead.
What am I saying? Well it is easy to say the devil orchestrated the death of this 'poor' guy and perfected his evil will upon him. But hold up a second before saying that. Among the few tens that gathered round this boy during the wee hours, no one saw him/herself as a rescuer, Why? Because they have no first aid, health and safety knowledge. And even if they had, they couldn't or didn't use it. This is pathetic either way.
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest gossips on NAIJ Gossip App
A number of persons saw this guy during his last minutes of grace to live, but they failed him but failed themselves even more and the country. The citizens of the nation have no iota of first aid, health and safety knowledge. What to do or what can be done in an emergency situation like this is known by less than 0.00001% of Nigerians. Many stumble on accident scenes where the victims still had a chance to live, but surround them as spectators whom they had just paid their gate fee to watch, the 'match of who is going to give up the ghost first'.
A number of people begin to thank God they missed out on being the victim by just an inch as the Lord directed them. No one ever feels the Lord directed him/her to be a rescuer. The closest help this guy might have gotten till this moment is communication of this happening to the world which also establishes the role of information in place of first aid, health and safety. At about this period where there have been tremendous improvements in electricity generation and distribution generally, there has also been a great increase in rainfall and flood in the country which may mean more danger to the public if health and safety measures don't measure up.
The staff of power generation and distribution companies must also be well skilled, just in case they find themselves in a situation where they need to become a rescuer to a member of the general public. At the extensive level, there should be an overhauling of all head cables. Many cables are weak. Many are also joined together weakly. Many of the electricity infrastructure are also poorly maintained.
These are all hazards that poses risks to just anybody. Members of the public should equally be orientated by the emergency and safety agencies in the country in order to help each other in situations like this. Safety persons should also live up to their professional expectations. The role of a health and safety professional should be recognized and bolstered in view of developing the economy. The sector is capable of creating employment opportunities which will translate into jacking or hi-jacking the nation out of recession."
So sad! RIP to him.