Five members of a family have died after eating jollof rice in Umuokpara Umanu, Obollo community in Isiala Mbano local government area of Imo state.
Vanguard reports that Mr. Vitalis Nwosu, his wife, Obianuju, and their three children, Chinonso, Chinasa and Odimnobi had the food which was served by the woman of the house for dinner.
But the children started complaining of stomach pain after eating. They were said to have been stooling and vomiting. The children began to experience the symptoms first and they were taken to a hospital but did not make it. The children died before getting to the hospital.
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest gossips on NAIJ Gossip App
Recounting the incident, a villager said:
“The children were the initial complainants and their parents quickly moved them to a nearby private hospital (names withheld). Every effort made to save them failed as they died one after the other.”
"Soon after the children died, the parents came down with the same symptoms and were taken to a hospital where they died. The remains of the deceased have been deposited at Adam Mortuary, Ugiri. Two other members of the family, who joined in eating the meal survived."
The first son of the deceased, Mr. Chukwuemeka Nwosu, said he was not home when the sad incident happened. He alleged it must a relative that poisoned his parents and siblings.