A 18-month-old baby boy, Isreal Buhari, has died after his own mother mistakenly served him kerosene in place of water in Benin city.
According to the report, young Buhari had told his mum, a hired kerosene seller, that he was thirsty and the woman ‘inadvertently’ gave him kerosene stored in a beverage can, to drink. The tragedy occurred at Iguma street, Off Orewere street, Off Medical Stores road, Benin city, at about 10am, last Tuesday, February 14.
Buhari, who is the only boy of the four children of his parents, was said to have on first gulp immediately spat out the remaining content in his mouth before his mother realized. But it was too late as the boy’s eyes were said to have turned pure white after some minutes. He was also said to have screamed out uncontrollably.
PAY ATTENTION: Get all the latest gossips on NAIJ Gossip App
His mother Mrs Ata Buhari, said with the help of neighbors some volume of palm oil was immediately given to the baby before he was rushed to a hospital in the area where he died few hours later.
Narrating how she ‘mistakenly’ served her only son kerosene instead of water, Mrs Ata Buhari, from Kogi state said that one of her children had filled an empty can of beverage with water which they took to store that fateful morning. She added that a similar container of beverage which she stored kerosene was kept in her shop as when her child complained of thirstiness she ‘mistakenly’ picked the one filled with kerosene.
The 36-year-old father of the child, Mr Buhari Hassan, also from Kogi state, a bricklayer, said he was called to the hospital where he met the corpse of his only son. He appealed to the state government and kindhearted individuals to empower him and his wife as his family is living from hand to mouth.